The Irish Green Flag
In Ireland of the 1790's a republican movement emerged, known as The Society of United Irishmen. This group used a gold harp on a green field as their flag (called the 'Green Flag'). The flag was carried in the rebellions of 1798 and 1803 and it achieved popular acceptance as a national flag.
The revolutionary movement of the 1860's, the Irish Republican Brotherhood (or 'Fenians') also used the Green Flag. And the flag was used by all the nationalist politicians who campaigned for 'Home Rule' (devolved government within the United Kingdom). By about 1880 the Green Flag was generally tolerated, but it was never given any official status and was always seen as a nationalist emblem.
The variation of the flag that we offer includes the phrase "Erin Go Bragh", which means "Ireland Forever".